Brazil Brasilia Mission
Called to Serve
Elder Eric Maughan
July 2006 - July 2008

Letters from Eric
Eric's Photos
Favorite Links
Quick Information:

Eric's itinerary has arrived! He will be flying into the Albany NY airport, arriving at 10:25 am on Wednesday, July 2, 2008. We're excited!!

Lots of new pictures today. Check them out here. (04/28/08)

Pouch Mail Address:
POUCH MAIL IS BEING DISCONTINUED FOR ALL MISSIONARIES SERVING IN BRAZIL. All mail must be sent directly to the mission office. (See Contact Information link)

Questions or comments?

E-mail me at

(excerpts from an e-mail sent March 17, 2008)

Hey guys-

Wow, it sounds like this past week was really busy and rather successful for everyone. I’ll be honest, I feel really bad for not being there to see, I think Melissa probably feels the same way. I was thinking the other day that I’ll probably get home just after the outdoor track season ends, which isn’t too fun, but oh well. And some of the words that you mention that Craig got right I’ve never even heard of, but what can you do? I can’t even remember how to speak English correctly.

Anyway, mom, you asked me how I was feeling, and told me that I can be honest, so I will. Today’s the 22nd day that I’ve got a fever, which has been ranging from 100 to 103, but that’s the only real symptom that I have, the other ones just come and go. This past week I went to the best hospital in Brasilia twice, did blood and urine tests, etc, and no one knows what I’ve got. The doctors all say “it’s just a virus, it’s normal,” but, in my opinion, a virus that gives an otherwise healthy 21-year-old a 3-week fever is the kind of virus who deserves his jersey number retired. But whatever. Working with a fever’s not too bad, and I’ve got some medicine that helps reduce the fever pretty well. My companion’s always telling me to rest, but when you’ve only got 4 months left to baptize and ordain enough people to have a chapel in the city, there’s no time to get sick.

It was a fun week, it went by really fast- 2 days in brasilia, 2 days here, and so on. Zone conference was fun- we got to brasilia at 4 am, and started walking, assuming that a bus would stop by, like has happened every other time. But this time it didn’t happen- apparently the bus drivers didn’t want to work from 4 am until 6. So we walked the 5 miles to the elders’ house, and got there when everyone was waking up. Good times. During the conference, President talked about the atonement of Christ (since next week is Easter and all), and I think it really opened my vision a lot. Very interesting, the whole thing.

Anyway, that was Thursday, and we spent the rest of Thursday and Friday hanging out in the hospital and taking buses throughout Brasilia, also very fun. We even had a chance to go visit Cruzeiro, and visit a few people we had taught there. It made everybody quite happy. Then Friday night we went back to Posse, but first a guy got on the bus to sell some pictures. Here’s the scheme: he walks by a throws the cards or little toys or whatever in your lap, and then comes by to pick them up again, or you can pay to keep them. This guy was selling little cards, but skipped over us, and I felt rather left out. Then I noticed that he was from the catholic church, selling cards of Our Lady. After a few people had bought the card I, feeling left out and knowing that the true Church doesn’t lose to anyone, went up in the front with a bunch of pass-along cards and told everyone that they were going to get a free picture of Christ and, if they called the 1-800, a free DVD. Then I said the word “free” a few more times, and in a bus of maybe 35 people we gave out 45 cards, because everyone wanted to share and take one for their friends. See, the Church is true.

There was also a baptism this week- a young man named Vanderlan, who had been wanting to be baptized for a long time, but had a problem with smoking. This week, however, while we were in Brasilia, he stopped smoking, and was baptized yesterday. It was amazing to see how God really does His part. Even though we didn’t do very much this week, and lost an awful lot of time in hospitals, things worked out in the end. You just need to do your part, however small that may be, and have faith.

I think that’s about it as far as the news from here. The most exciting thing recently is just seeing what my temperature will be tomorrow, because you never know. But I’ll be fine, don’t worry. Thanks for everything! Ohh, I got the glasses package, it got to the office on Friday. Made me very happy. I also got a bunch of letters from Dad, including the ones to the Posse address, which is working out very well. Haven’t got any packages here yet, but they’ll come. I’ve got the two memory cards, just no way to get the pictures off of them, but where there’s a will there’s a way. Love you guys! Life is good,